I’m in Utah. Yep, that’s right, I’ve made the move (for now) and am spending the foreseeable future in Salt Lake City, Utah. It’s not forever, but it’s for long enough for me to get a great taste of what my life might look like here and decide whether it might be something for me. My job has taken me here and when I come home, well, who knows what job I’ll be doing, but right now I’m working in our Utah offices and it’s a pretty amazing experience.
At the moment, life is pretty great. I’m living in a shared house with a couple of others from work and fully embracing life in Salt Lake City. We do our weekly shop at Walmart, visit Target for household bits and at the weekends go into Salt Lake City or up the mountains to Park City to explore. The office is a completely different working experience too; it is so friendly, everyone is so helpful and there are really great vibes. Heck, I’m even driving on the wrong side of the road!
I have visited the USA before, namely New York and Florida, but Utah is nothing like either of those places. I can imagine it’s actually nothing like a lot of places in America. Due to the state’s religious alliance it is primarily a pretty dry state and we are careful to not swear – and wine is hard to come by – but on the other hand there are so many positives…
So far I love living in Salt Lake City, Utah, because:
- The people are the friendliest I have ever met.
- I get to drive a big truck and it feels amazing.
- The weather is cold but mostly sunny and dry.
- Beautiful snowy mountains surround us and there is a stunning view where ever you look.
- My colleagues are friendly and kind and we ask each other so many questions and learn so much.
- I’ve lost the amount of times people say ‘are you British?’ and my accent gets a lot of attention.
- Everyone has amazing manners and service here is incredible. Food portions are 10 x bigger than at home and there is so much new to try.
- It’s totally different to at home and there is so much to explore.
Over the next few weeks I’ll be sharing some of our Utah adventures that we get up to outside of work. Of course, I’m here for work and we are working regular weekly hours, but we still have evenings and weekends to explore and I intend to make the most of this life changing experience.
Join the journey on my Instagram.